Sunday, January 31, 2010

What Happened in Vegas...

Yesterday, my roomate Sarina Thomas and I went to Las Vegas.  A month ago, we bought tickets to see "The Lion King."  So we went down early to do some shopping and eat lunch, and made a whole day of it!  The combination of our pre-planned activities and spontaneous additions made yesterday a PERFECT DAY!  I can't think of anything I would have changed!

Our first stop in Vegas was to pick up our "Lion King" tickets!  Sarina & I decided to take our pictures then, since the lobby was totally empty!  I think we got some cute ones!

Next stop: THE BELLAGIO to see their pretty indoor gardens and eat gellato!  Yum!  Yum!  YUM!!!  LOVE IT!
Then... we went shopping at the Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood.  We decided to get 10 minute massages... and again, LOVED IT!!!
After some shopping, we walked down the strip to the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace.  No walk down the strip is ever complete without a sighting of the King!
Again, always looking for photo ops, Sarina & I got some pictures in front of the BEAUTIFUL fountains at Caesar's.
Then we went to lunch at the Cheesecake Factory.  It was phenominal!  And my herb-crusted salmon looked so pretty, I just had to take a picture of it!
After lunch, Sarina and I realized we'd be pressed for time if we tried to walk/drive down to Mandalay Bay, where "The Lion King" was.  So we took a cab!  It was fun, and was made even more exciting by our cabbie constantly talking on his radio AND texting on his cell phone while driving!!!
SHOWTIME!!  We had decided to go all out and got the expensive tickets on the 6th row, center aisle!  I think it was totally worth it!  The show was PHENOMINAL!!
Both of us had seen the show years ago, but I had forgotten just how amazing it was!  I cried 6 or 7 times during the show, because of the beauty of it, and the messages I saw within the text and music.  It was incredibly moving!  And I was really grateful to have been there with Sarina, who as a fellow Drama Queen, also fully appreciated the experience, and cried, giggled, and got goosebumps with me!  I can't imagine anyone better to share it with!

Our original plans for the day had ended with "The Lion King," but gratefully, while shopping in the Miracle Mile Shops, Sarina & I had decided to get tickets for the late show of "Phantom" at the Venician.  We had a couple hours before that started, SO... instead of leaving to go home, we took another cab back to the Bellagio, where we'd parked, and got a great view of their famous fountain show!
The whole thing was really beautiful, and watching it with the mini-Eiffel Tower in the background, I understood how people find Vegas romantic!

After the water show, Sarina & I walked to our car and drove to the Venetian where we parked and went to pick up our tickets for "Phantom."  Once again, we took advantage of the empty lobby to get our pictures in!
We still had quite a bit of time before the show, so we walked around the Venetian a little bit... and finally ate the cheesecake we'd gotten to go from the Cheesecake Factory earlier!
At 9, we went to be seated for "Phantom."  Since it was a spontaneous addition to our planned trip, we had bought the cheap tickets for the show.  However, when we got there, one of the ushers upgraded us to the EIGHTH ROW, center section!!  SO LUCKY!!  The theater was renovated for "Phantom" and was spectacular!  The chandelier was ENORMOUS, the chairs looked antique, the walls all around were draped in fabric that then was pulled away when the main "DUH! Dun dun dun dun DUH!" theme is played at the beginning of the show!  Amazing!
After "Phantom" we drove home, and with the time difference, we got in pretty late!  BUT, in a move I find most impressive, both of us girls were on time AND pretty for 9 o'clock church this morning!

What a wonderful day!  Yay for girl time!  And for loving your roomate!  And for delicious desserts!  And for fabulous theatre!  And for making wonderful memories!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kyle and I just came back from Vegas to watch Lion King as well! It was awesome. I really wish I got to see Phantom too! I saw it in New York many years ago....I am so glad it was an awesome trip.

Camille said...

So fun! Now I'm inspired to go take a spontaneous trip!!

Brianna said...

AHHH so fun!!! Hooray for fun exciting days!! You are so cute and I'm so happy you got to see Lion King and Phantom!

Rik said...

That sounds like it was so fun!! Kev and I saw Phantom at the Venecian on our honeymoon and it was amazing there!! I'm so happy you had an amazing weekend!

Kendra said...

HOLY SMOKES. SOOOOO JEALOUS! I want to see both of those... I am just so envious and sad that I was not there with you. What a fun day!

Post a Comment