Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Let Your Light So Shine

So... one of my students posted this comment on my teacher blog!

"Miss Houghtaling ..... you are just so purrty to me i mean there is just sometyhing abot you that shines and pulls the happiness out of me!!!! I may not be in your class but whenever i am around you i have the best time that i could ever have!!!! :)"

There's a legitimate chance this girl is just sucking up for a good part in the musical... but on the chance that she's being completely sincere... YAY!!!  It means SO much to get little notes like this from the kids in an email or a sticky note or whatever.  So many of these kids are facing some humongous challenges at home and really lack parental support and/or positive role models on top of that.  I really feel a huge responsibility for setting a good example in the lives of my students!  It's nice to know that they can sense that, even if they can't put it into words!!

In fact, this just made me think of Alma 17:11.  "...Be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls."

Some days I think that should read "...Be patient in fourth and fifth periods..."

I've often heard that you can't measure the influence of a mother.  Can you measure the influence of a teacher??

I want, more than anything, to be an instrument in the Lord's hands, to become who He wants me to be, and to help these kids!  Not so that they can all become Theatre majors or Choir teachers one day... but so they can recognize and seek out the light that "shines" in those around them.  So they can surround themselves by uplifting people.  So they can make right choices and help others do the same.  So they can be happy!!

Right now, I'm feeling very hopeful about that possibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment