Monday, May 4, 2009

Our Amazing Race!!!

Three weeks ago, I flew back to Georgia for about 24 hours so that Mama and I could road trip across the country to bring the truck out to Utah for me. We took our time, visiting cousins along the way, and basically spent the good part of 5 straight days in a tiny truck without cruise control... It is important for me to also mention that the truck is a stick... which I learned how to drive at 2 am the night mom got me from the airport... 24 hours before we started out on our adventure! I'll use the help of some super cute pictures in documenting our very own Amazing Race!


Here's how Mama and I both feel, right before setting off on the trip!!!
When we left Peachtree City Friday morning, we drove west, through Alabama and Mississippi. There was not much to see except for trees, until we came to this: The Mississippi River!!! It divides Mississippi and Louisiana, and is MUCH wider than this picture gives it credit for!!Once we hit Louisiana, it started pouring. Three hours of bumper-to-bumper trafic meant that our twelve-ish hour leg of the race was closer to 15... and we were exhausted and grumpy when we made it to Aunt Karen's house in Dallas that night! Good thing Karen has cute kids, comfy beds, and makes a delicious breakfast!!!

Uncle Glen even came to see us while we were there for the night!
After Karen's yummy breakfast Saturday morning, Mama and I headed off for Lubbock, TX. What's so exciting about Lubbock that we had to make a detour to go there??? Why, three sets of cousins who all have precious little families, of course! How could we not stop?!?!?

We got to Lubbock just in time to eat dinner with Austin and Cristina (and Taggart and Lilian), and Lindsey and Dave (and Eli and Haven). I haven't seen them (minus Austin and Lindsey) in years, so it was wonderful to catch up!!

Mama and I spent the night with Austin and Cristina!
On Sunday, we went to Church with Dave and Lindsey, where Haven and I bonded during Sacrament meeting!
Then right after church, we went to visit Chelsea and Shawn! Callie sang "Happy Birthday" to us, but was very disappointed when I changed out of my 'princess dress' to put on more comfortable clothes for the car!
After we left Shawn and Chelsea's, we took off again, towards New Mexico. We found these in a gas station right before we left Texas and just had to take a picture!!!

Nothing says "Texas" like a cowboy hat and a mini license plate!!!
We spent Sunday night in New Mexico and set out once more on Monday, into Arizona. After driving around in the middle of treeless nowhere for hours, we stumbled upon this... The Colorado River! At this part (a famous Navajo Bridge), it's called Glen Canyon, but downstream, the river becomes the Grand Canyon! Again, this was SO much cooler in real life!!

Here's me and the river! Nice photography, Mama!
After driving several more hours of driving, we made it to St. George, Utah, on Monday afternoon! My cousin, Aubrey, met us for dinner and gave us a tour of the city! We found the new school I will be teaching at, the mall (very important!), the temple, and lots of other fun stuff, including... AN APARTMENT for me to live in!!! Hooray!

This is me, Mama, and Aubrey in front of the temple!
Tuesday morning, we visited my new school to see my classroom, get some questions answered, and meet some of the teachers! It was wonderful! The school is such a great facility, the teachers and staff seem welcoming and happy, and my principal is as kind and fun as ever! Best of all, though, is that I found out our school mascot it... wait for it... wait for it... a T-REX!!!! Is that not the best mascot ever!?!?!?!

This is me and my new principal, Bob Sonju, in front of the school!
We got back to Provo Tuesday afternoon in time for some shopping and even some frozen yogurt with my the Haynie cousins!!! All in all, we had a blast, even if we didn't win a million dollars for racing ourselves cross-country and winning!!! Who needs that money, anyway?!?!?

Oh, wait. I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment