Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Courage Is...?

There are few things I have ever done more rewarding than being a teacher. This really is the best job... mostly because of the fantastic students I get to work with!

Today, for example, we were working on our theatre performance, that goes up next Tuesday night. We are performing an original piece, developed by the students in my three theatre classes, that is entitled "Courage Is...?" It will be about an hour long, and is a compliation of scenes written, directed, and acted in by the students, based on their own definitions of the word courage. It deals with their real-life experiences of needing and developing courage, and is a reflection of their desire to be brave in the face of life's challenges.

We took a break for a few minutes to discuss our personal definitions of courage. I had each student write down a one-sentence definition that they then shared with the class. I was absolutely blown away by the depth and wisdom of their responses.

Here are a few that really stuck out to me:

Courage is sticking up for something even if people laugh and tease you.

Courage means being brave and strong.

Courage means doing hard things.

Courage is helping others.


Courage means being yourself.

Courage means doing hard things even when you're scared.

Courage is doing what's right no matter what happens.

Wow!!! Are those kids awesome, or what?!? I am so happy that I get to work with such amazing kids who inspire me everyday to be more than I am! I really am one lucky lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment