Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Super [control] Freak!

Life gets crazy sometimes...

Often, it's not what we had planned or even anticipated.  We have so much less control than we'd like to believe... and as someone who thrives off a sense of control, I can, with some difficulty, admit what a scary realization that is!

Nothing scares me more than things beyond my control...  I mean, there's NOTHING you can do about those things!

You can't fix them.  Or check them off a list.  Or accomplish them.

But I do know that, when things get tough or crazy, and I feel completely helpless, there is Someone who IS in control.  And His plans are so much bigger and broader and BETTER than my own.

The peace and comfort that I feel simply by remembering that changes everything.  Not because the circumstances are different, but because my perspective is different.

I mean, He even commands us not to freak out about those things, when He counsels us: "Peace, be still."

Elder Maxwell said: "Our total dependence on God requires us to completely relinquish our own will, our own plans to Him... The submission of one's will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God's altar.  The many other things we 'give' are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.  However, when you and I finally submit ourselves, by letting our individual wills be swallowed up in God's will, then we are really giving something to Him!  It is the only possession which is truly our to give!"

Apparently, I need to learn how to let go and submit my will to His, trusting in His plans, and having faith that all will work out as He means for it to.

My dad shared this quote with me today: "Life is not the way it's 'supposed' to be - it's the way it IS.  The way you cope with it makes the difference."

Attitude is everything.

And this is one control freak who is choosing to have a more peaceful attitude... because my attitude (my will & the way I choose to cope) is the only thing I truly CAN control!

2 comments:

Rik said...

I totally needed this.

Haley Roe said...

thats funny that you say this because the Lord has put the verse "Be Still and know that I am God." in my mind all week.. its been a MISERABLE week for me, and he keeps repeating that in my mind. It doesnt make the situation better, but at least we can rest in his love for us

Post a Comment